The scope of this course is to train the participants in the response to Nuclear Emergencies, having its cause in accidents at Nuclear Power Plants (NPP) or incidents involving Special Nuclear Material (SNM).
- Understand the basics of NPPs
- Be familiar with SNMs
- Learn how to respond to nuclear incidents
- Understand how to support the incident commander
- Gain confidence in responding to incidents with open radioactive sources
- Be familiar with the use of detection equipment
- Gain confidence in the use of personal protective equipment in a live environment
- Understand and be able to apply safe work practices.
Course Content and Overview
The course will be held in the Seibersdorf Academy and at the NPP Zwentendorf in Austria. The course consists of theoretical and practical elements, including the use of sealed and unsealed radioactive sources (4 types of radiation, alpha/beta/gamma/neutrons).
The participants will be introduced to the response to nuclear emergencies. Up to 5 days of this course will be run at a non-functional NPP which allows for unlimited and safe access to all elements of the nuclear energy production cycle.
The course will be two weeks long (recommended). Week one will focus on the basics of nuclear emergencies and the response mechanism. Week two will be scenario-based training at the NPP Zwentendorf.
Target Audience and maximum attendance
The course target audience are first responders and military personnel. Participants should be members of response teams. The maximum number of participants is 12.
Participants should be:
- Medically and physically fit (Employer to provide a medical clearance for the employee to work in personal protective equipment)
- Medical insurance valid in Europe/ Austria
- Able to understand instructions/training delivered in the English Language
- 18 years of age as a minimum
- Female participants must not be pregnant
Method of Training
Delivery methods includes: Classroom and Practical Training
Training at NPP Zwentendorf
60 hours (minimum 8 days)
Timings and number of days are subject to customers' requirements and availability.